I made this for dinner last night and it was so good – kid and husband approved. Eggplant parmesan is such fab comfort food and I am so grateful to be able to enjoy it again.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced thin vertically (so you end up with long, thin slices)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax, plus 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 – 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 green onion, chopped and whites removed
- 1 tsp garlic infused olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F/220C.
- Place the flax egg into a shallow dish.
- In a second shallow dish, combine the almond meal with the oregano, some salt and black pepper.
- Dip each eggplant slice in the flax egg mixture and flip to coat well.
- Then, dredge each piece in the almond flour mixture, again turning to coat well.
- Place the dredged slices on a silpat-lined baking sheet in a single layer, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then flip the slices over and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the slices start to get crisp and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a blender, combine the tomatoes, paprika, green onion, garlic oil and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Place sauce in pan and simmer, partly covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the eggplant is done, remove it from the oven, and reduce the temperature to 350F/180C.
- Ladle some sauce into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Arrange eggplant slices over the sauce, putting them close to each other but not overlapping much.
- Spread some sauce over the eggplant. Repeat layering with eggplant and sauce until you’ve used it all.
- Dollop some Sunflower Seed Cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.