In our home, we love this colourful meal on a warm summer’s day. It’s so refreshing and so tasty. The time to prep all the veg is a bit time consuming but once you’ve done that, it comes together quite quickly. The ingredients I’ve listed here make 3-4 rolls each for 5 people.
1/2 cup crushed peanuts
Mint, Coriander and Basil leaves
1 head baby cos lettuce, washed and dried
2 carrots, julienned
1 capsicum, julienned
2 cucumber, julienned
2 avocado, sliced thin
2-3 green onions, cut into finger length pieces
Rice paper sheets
Peanut Sauce – recipe here
- Prep all veg and place on a large plate.
- Wash and dry herbs and add to plate.
- Prep green onions slices and add to plate.
- Crush peanuts in a mini chopper.
- Wash and dry lettuce leaves ready to stuff.
- Start by filling one lettuce leaf with around 1 tsp of crushed peanuts.
- Then layer a few of each veg, green onions and then the herbs.
- Roll up lettuce wrap. Making a lettuce roll in this way prevents the sharper veggies from poking through the rice paper.
- Dip rice paper sheet in warm water, shake off excess water and move to a cutting board, dry gently with a towel.
- Place lettuce wrapped veg 1/3 away from edge of rice paper sheet and wrap up like a burrito. First wrap one end around lettuce roll, then tuck in the sides.
- Continue rolling rice paper up, sealing it. There’s a great video on how to do this here.
*Optional: different veggies like zucchini, radish, sprouts or cabbage. Add proteins like cubed or sliced tofu, or grilled tempeh.