Although canned lentils are recommended for a SIBO restricted diet, I find that small 1/2 – 1 cup portions of this dal, work for me without any digestive issue. I didn’t reintroduce lentils until 3-4 months after a very strict SIBO bi-phasic diet protocol and at that time only 1/2 cup servings. I would recommend trying a small portion for yourself once you’ve had some success and see how you feel. Lentils are a wonderful source of protein and fiber. This recipe consistently comes out fab and my entire family loves it. It’s comfort food and tummy soothing. Enjoy!
2 cups red lentils
1 cup yellow lentils
1 bunch coriander, chopped
1 – 2 chili peppers (depending on spice preference), chopped
Finger-length piece of ginger, diced small
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp paprika
3/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp ground fenugreek
1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
A pinch of asafoetida
1/2 tsp ground mustard powder
Pepper to taste
4 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp garlic infused olive oil
- To a large stock pot add lentils, coriander, chilis, and spices.
- Cover with water – maybe 8- 10 cups.
- Bring pot to a boil and then simmer uncovered over medium to medium low heat for a couple of hours (2-3.)
- When the lentils are finished cooking prepare the ginger. In a frying pan, cook diced ginger in coconut oil until ginger begins to brown.
- Add 1 tsp of garlic infused olive oil, coconut oil and ginger over dal, stir and serve.