A warm and savoury meal your whole family will enjoy. As a very busy mom, I love it when mealtimes are easy. To adhere with the SIBO diet we are limited to 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup pumpkin so best not to have a huge portion. Fill your plate with a gorgeous green salad to go with. You will not be left wanting.
2 cups pureed pumpkin (or 1 can)
6 cups water
1 tsp Italian herb mix
2 cups arborio rice
3/4 cup white wine
1 bunch green onions, chopped fine, whites removed
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp fresh Sage leaves, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat water, pumpkin and Italian spice mix to make a stock.
- In another small pan, warm 2 tbsp olive oil and fry chopped sage leaves until crispy – set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and onions.
- Add arborio rice and stir and heat until there’s just a speck of white remaining in each grain of rice.
- Add white wine. Continue stirring until the liquid is absorbed.
- Now begin by adding 1 ladleful of stock. Continue cooking and stirring until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add another ladleful of stock and continue doing this: adding stock, stirring and once it’s absorbed adding again until the rice is cooked through. Maybe 20-25 minutes.
- Once the rice is tender to chew but still firm add the oil and sage, nutritional yeast, and season with salt and pepper.